Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) – Theory & Application (with focus on geriatrics rehabilitation)
Neurologic Music Therapy ( NMT ) techniques are evidence-based and effective, and some of them require only minimal musical skills to execute. The course is suitable for any one who would like to use the techniques in helping people with neurological impairment affecting motor, cognitive, speech as well as psychosocial functions. Para-medical professionals such as physical, speech, occupational and music therapists would find the course a valuable source in advancing their clinical skills.
Theory : How the brain works and its implication in motor, speech and cognitive rehabilitations.
Application : Learn major NMT techniques 學習腦神經學音樂治療主要技巧
A. Sensorimotor Training 感知肌能運動技巧
- Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation (RAS) – Gait therapy with rhythm accompaniment.
- Patterned Sensory Enhancement (PSE) – The use of music to structure various movements.
- Therapeutic Instrumental Music Performance (TIMP) – Playing music instruments to simulate functional movement patterns.
B. Speech and Language Rehabilitation 言語復康技巧
- Melodic Intonation Therapy (MIT) – Melodic prompts to assist speech learning and relearning.
- Music Speech Stimulation (MUSTIM) – The use of music to stimulate speech.
- Vocal Intonation Therapy (VIT) – The use of vocal training techniques for speech production rehabilitation.
C. Cognitive Training 認知訓練技巧 – Auditory Sensory and Perception Training
- Auditory Perception Training (APT)
- Associative Mood and Memory Training (AMMT)
- Musical Attention Control Training (MACT)
D. Psychosocial Behavioral Training 心理社交行為訓練
Musical Psychosocial Training and Counseling (MPC)
- Selection of songs
- Song leading skills
- Singing and lyric discussion as Emotion Regulating Strategy and channel of self-expression.